Sunday, August 8

The Prayer of St. Patrick

Today at church we sang St.Patrick's prayer. 
Here are some of the phrases of the prayer:

Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ above me, Christ below me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I rise,
Christ is with me, Christ is in me.
Amen. Amen.

Ian the worship leader prayed at the end of the song about
how he often pictures the before and behind,the above and
below, and the left and the right to be abstract places,
just giving us a picture that God is with us. He went on
to make an observation about Christ being in the very
people that surround us on our left and right. A lovely
picture, but it got me thinking in an even different way.
The prayer was just another way of God saying to me that he
is present in my current situation of looking for a job and
all the stress and tension that situation brings with it.
He has gone "before" me; he's cleared the path for my
future. He knows what's next and has prepared the way. He
has been behind me; he's proven that he will be there again
this time just as he's been for me all those times in the
past. He is above me; he's from a more perfect, beautiful,
and peaceful place and longs to have his will be done here
on Earth as it is in heaven. He is below me; even when I go
to dark places where there's sin and where I mess up, he goes
there too. There's nowhere I can hide from his spirit; he will
follow me even to the depths. These picture were so tangible
for me today and exactly the encouragement I needed to hear as
I'm in the waiting period where I can only dream and wonder
about what could be next for me. He is with me. He is in me.
Amen. Let it be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment