Saturday, August 14

Super (dysfunctional) Nanny or Nanny Call 911

So in addition to Zombie, I've discovered another career path that I'm not cut out for: nannying. I babysat for my sister's 3 and 1 year-old little girls tonight and discovered I'm really good at being the fun aunt, but am terrible when any sort of real responsibility with children is required. The night started off well enough. We ate chicken nuggets, applesauce, and the usual fare. Afterwards we went to the pool. I was pretty proud of my pool performance. Everyone was sufficiently entertained and safety was maintained. We played dress up, put on PJ's, and settled in for a Winnie the Pooh DVD, and bottle. Here's where the night began to derail.

I should mention that the night was not flawless up to this point by any means. The dog snagged a good portion of food off the high chair tray of the one year-old and when I tried to put her downstairs she nipped at me and continued to growl loudly. The three year-old let me know that the dog 'never does that'. He dog later went on to throw up the table scraps onto the carpeted stairs.

When it came time for bed the one year-old took her bottle like a champ but instead of falling asleep she appeared to rally. All she wanted to do was wrestle with her sister, high five, and squeal with laughter at anything and everything. I tried to remove her from the situation and her hilarious sister and she was having none of it. I broke down and called my mom confirming every insecurity I have about being the baby sister of our family and lacking all maternal skill. I tried again to gently rock her to sleep and let her cry it out, but her wailing and thrashing was unrelenting. I called my mom again and living 2 miles away she offered to come over to assist the situation. Not 3 minutes after I got off the phone, the baby with one last shriek and squirm gave up the fight and fell asleep in my arms. Official bedtime: 1 and 1/2 hours later than intended.

Many women my age have children of their own and I am forced to call my mother for reinforcements during one night of babysitting. I'll tackle the challenges of parenthood soon enough, but for now you can scratch Nanny off my list of potential career paths.

PS- I am watching my friend Sam's girls this coming week (hi Sam). Just a disclaimer to Sam and anyone else worried about this: I think I thrive with toddlers +. It's the non-verbal babies that I seem to struggle with. I swear.

3 comments:

  1. I almost applied for a manny job. I would have traveled with the family on their private jet for weekend vacations. It all sounded great until I realized I would be raising children that whole time. Figured the family would see right through me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be so hard on yourself. Please know it takes parents quite some time to "figure out" their own flesh and blood. She was probably over-tired because she had so much fun with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries. I often have to call in my reinforcement...his name is Brad. Plus, I told Rory that you were coming, and I think she'll be happy as long as you cut out a new paper doll for her.

    ReplyDelete