Wednesday, June 9

A Different Kind of Fun Police

I've written before about Daniel and I's future career as the Fun Police. In that instance the Fun Police are there to increase the fun, however I think the more common use of that title is actually referring to the distinguishing of fun. Tonight I was the latter of the two.

Part of my role this month at camp is to perform "sweeps" which basically means we walk through the dorms to make sure all the campers have made their way to the next activity. We deal with the stragglers and kindly encourage them to join the crowd. We also direct them to their cabins at night and attempt to keep them inside aforementioned cabins. Allow me to emphasize the word "attempt". Keeping 400 middle schoolers inside their cabins is the most appropriate usage of the phrase "herding cats" that I've ever experienced. Travis, my fellow head leader, radioed me once on his walkie talkie saying, "I get them to go in one door and they go out another." Middle schoolers are sneaky little suckers. God love 'em but they mischievous.

A few groups got special opportunities to have a hot tub all to themselves or a private bonfire and smores session while the rest of camp was sent indoors. It was my job to shut down the party at 11:30. Shutting down a party of any sort goes against everything in Daniel and I's Fun Police Creed (notice "creed" with a capital C...it's pretty official). My dear friend Annie, the most hot-tub lovin' gal I've ever met, would be aghast at my kicking people out of an after-dark dip in the warm chlorinated waters of a jacuzzi. When I approached the final group of kids to close down their bonfire, a voice questioned who it was that was approaching them in the darkness. My reply was, "the fun police". He asked for my badge and I flashed my very official looking Castaway-issued name tag. After a few minutes of pleading they agreed to head back indoors. I finished my job tonight with the satisfaction of successfully herding the last of the cats to their bunk. But as I lie here about to fall asleep, I find myself conflicted. Yes I was performing my duty, but maybe this role isn't right for me. How can I in good conscience continue to be the bearer of bad news and close down parties night after night when I feel a call to foster and multiple the party?

Maybe it's a lesson in the value of all things in moderation. The fun can only be increased by managing it well. Those kids will go to sleep at a reasonable hour enabling them to awake bright and early and attack another day of fun-filled adventures. So maybe the Fun Police can reign strong in the midst of what looks like putting a damper on the party. Maybe this is my training ground leading me one step closer to a career in the field of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment