Tuesday, June 8

There's No Other Place I'd Rather Be

I cried three times today. In public. And hard. Really, really hard. The second time should be described more accurately as weeping rather than mere crying. But when it comes to God and especially while at YL camp, crying always signifies joy or poignancy or being overcome by the beauty of the moment. Crying is a good thing here. It's been a long time since I've experienced moments like I've had the past few days. I've only been here since Saturday and I'm already feeling caught up in the grandeur of what God is doing in the lives of not only the campers but in the lives of those of us running the camp itself. Our camp director and fearless leader Ray would call this the "camp within the camp". I dare say that the ministry that is happening between the staff and other peers is just as powerful as that that is occurring with the campers themselves. I don't feel conflicted about this at all though we are here to host camp for the students. I don't feel guilty about this ministry amongst the "camp within the camp" because it is a picture of the Gospel too. Our faith doesn't culminate at the moment we meet God rather that is simply the beginning of a lifelong and eternal journey. A conversion experience or whatever you want to call it can be extremely powerful. It was for me. My initial response God and the beginning of my faith in a lot of ways completely changed who I was. However, after 11 years I have had a handful of experiences that have been just as powerful and in some cases even more life altering than my initial interaction with God.

I think this is how it should be. I think the start of a relationship with God, just like in any relationship, should be only the beginning. Of course we should grow deeper as we mature, gain wisdom, and "get to know each other better". I would hope that I am more in love with Daniel after sharing 30 or 40 years with him than I was after just our first year together. It's the same with God. The longer I know him, the deeper the places he will take me. After 11 years I have to say that he is taking me to some deep deep places I never could have comprehended even existed back then at the start. Days like today where I sensed his pride and joy for our work staff. Days like today where I can't even sing along to the verse "He loves us, Oh how He loves us" because I'm so moved I can't contain my sobs. Days like today where I can't even tell a story that happened two years ago without crying because the power of it is still fresh and the effect on the people involved is lasting even 2 years later. I stood during that worship song and thought, "There's nowhere else I'd rather be right now." There's no vacation or party or experience that holds more appeal than being here with these people doing this together right now. I am so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment