Friday, June 11

I'm Sorry

Tbe phrase, "I'm sorry", left my lips probably over 30 times today. I wasn't prepared for some tasks that I'm in charge of and ended up needing a lot of help from the people around me at the last minute. I was giving full on apologies beginning at 9:15 this morning and just got to bed at 12:15am after the final "sorry fest" of the day. Pulling off this massive camp involves a lot of moving parts and considering that this is not only our team's first week here, but the first week of the summer as a whole, communication and getting the swing of things is even more difficult. In the real world I feel like I'm always making excuses and pointing the finger. If I make a mistake I find someone else to blame rather than taking responsibility for it and humbly admitting my wrong. But here at camp I am constantly telling those around me that I am sorry for small things and large things.

In the talk tonight Annie actually said she was sorry too. She was sharing some of the sentences campers had written describing the brokeness in their lives. Though the pain they've experienced at various points in their lives back home has nothing to do with her, she still apologized to them. It was a sincere sentiment of, "I'm so sorry you've had to experience this."

At home we don't tell people we're sorry as frequently. I at least don't. I think I'd like to take both uses of the word home with me though.

No comments:

Post a Comment