Sunday, January 31

Are you there blogosphere? It's me, Hattie.

I've really been cutting it close meeting my deadline these past few nights with another post at 11:48pm. I didn't begin this blog project to gain an audience, but at the same time chose a public forum like a blog because some semblance of an audience is essential to my experience. There's no risk in failure if I'm not exposing my shortcomings to others and I need the encouragement of others to keep going when I feel like staying in bed all day. I never anticipated how delighted I would be when someone would share with me that they were reading. I have received a number of texts, facebook messages, and emails from many of you and want to say thank you for reading and encouraging me. I have been really surprised by your presence.

Not being fully aware of who is reading is probably a good thing as it has kept me from censoring myself or molding my words in order to appeal more to a particular audience. But after some thought I've decided to ask if you are reading this to make your presence known (strangers welcome too!). I don't know why I want to know. Maybe because I anonymously read so many other blogs that my curiosity is getting the best of me. I heard a rumor my niece is reading. So we'll do a little experiment...Ellie if you see this, punch Katie for me. (We'll see just how faithful of a reader you are now.)

Depending on if any of you are actually out there, I may start asking questions in my posts and inviting you into the conversation. It always felt presumptuous in the past (and still now) to interact with a reader who may not even be out there, like I would be arrogantly assuming others were actually reading. But enough with my insecurities, if you are with me on this year long journey, let me know. I'd love to have you join in.

I feel like I'm talking to myself like when I used to pray when I was very little and didn't think God or anything else out there could actually hear. Are you there blogosphere? It's me, Hattie.

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've love reading your blog, Hattie! Especially as I have started one as well, and too feel weird assuming I'm interesting enough to read about. I enjoy your journey because it's nice to know some other female in student ministry is wrestling w/ hard LifeStuff, seeing and asking how Jesus messes with that, and sees the need for openness and confession for healing.

    Casey from The Element

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am here Hattie! I am a faithful reader and I think you're a talented blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Hattie! Just wanted to tell you that I am reading. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading and I think you're fabulous. -Melissa Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yo Hats. Long time reader, first time commenter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Beth, that's such an NPR line,"Long time listener, first time caller." I've always wanted to say that :)

    Thank you everyone for commenting. It means a lot to me. I read you as well, those of you who are blogging that is. Your presence is important to me and I'm very humbled and grateful for your kind words today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not only am I a reader, but I am also a "follower" (and also a hair club for men member, just kidding).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Hattie- I read some of your earlier posts and now I am backtracking! I love reading your blog you are so real. Not like those blogs that paint the picture that "my life is perfect and full of rainbows". Great to get to know you better. You have inspired me to start up my blog again...mine is mostly about being a mom... but i may want two, so i can do some more searching like you are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mol, thanks for the kindness. Between you and Clara, it seems like the writing comes from the Hogan side of the family. Send me your web address; I'd love to hear about the happenings of the Slaughters!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm reading too! I read this post a while ago, and was too busy to comment at the time, but thought I'd come back to say I'm out there in the blogosphere too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am reading. I think you are an amazing writer, and I am pretty sure I don't just think that because you are my sister.
    Carina

    ReplyDelete