Saturday, January 30

C is for Cancer

Carina and Hannah have been lucky enough to stay at Christopher's Haven while in Boston. An incredible man and cancer survivor himself created Christopher's Haven to provide apartments in a high rise across the street from the hospital for families to stay in while receiving proton therapy. Our second night in Boston I laid awake on the pull out sofa bed. I couldn't stop thinking about all the other families that had literally slept where I was sleeping. What happened to them? Where were they now? How was their kid doing? How did they do it? How are we going to do it?

Hannah is oh so close to being finished with radiation. They have already booked their flight home for next Wednesday. This could be the end of treatment completely. It is for right now anyway and hopefully forever. I'm not brave enough to even begin discussing things going back to normal or saying she is cancer free. All I'll share is that since we've been in game mode since October I'm afraid to stop bracing for impact. What if I let my guard down and something happens? I can't get rocked like that again. But at the same time we all have to start going back to living again. These are questions and fears for the therapist...and God. I have a feeling there may not be answers though. For now I can celebrate Hannah and how far she's come and how wonderful she is doing. I will be grateful for today.

T.G.I.T.F (Thank God it's Toy Friday!)
Check out this spread for the young patients to choose from.
Hannah choosing a toy for baby Callie. There's a toy room for siblings too!

The sewing angel Karen helping Hannah make a pillowcase. Her Boston accent added to her heavenliness.

This is the bell patients ring after their treatment is complete. Carina says she cries every time she is present for a ringing. Next Wednesday Hannah will get to ring the bell after 32 treatments and Carina and Jason will cry.

A Great Big PS!- (added Feb 4th) Here's the picture of Hannah ringing the bell and showing her countdown chart completed!

No comments:

Post a Comment