Sunday, August 1

Media Blitz

Oh Dear Readers! I apologize for my lack of consistency. I know I said I didn't care about missed posts because I was "out living life" and though that may be true, I am committed to this blog project. After all I sincerely believe that if it weren't for the past 7 months of posting in this little forum, I wouldn't have some of the courage I have now to pursue some of the dreams I am pursuing.
I have been busy. As part of "branding myself" and creating an "online presence" and other business savy buzz words (synergy, synergy, synergy), I have been immersing myself in social media. So here's some of what I have to show for the work I've been putting in. It's a little crazy to think that while working at camp, I avoided my facebook like the black plague in order to maintain some sense of escapism from the real world. At points I even considered how nice it would be to close my account completely. My friend Jill just shut down her facebook and part of me was envious of her ability to cut ties with it. But instead I have swung in the opposite direction as I know have 5, count 'em 5, online sites to maintain. A little much to wrap my brain around, but the goal is for them to work together.

My facebook and this blog will remain for personal use. I think this blog will always hold a special place in my heart and though public I will still write vulnerably and honestly (and hopefully humorously) within these posts. I enjoy the freedom of being myself without fear of the image or "brand" I am presenting to the public. Not that the other sites are inauthentic, but I wouldn't discuss IBS stories on a work related site. If anything they're just more specialized and this site is a catch-all for all my random experiences and embarrassing or heart warming stories. If I didn't know me, this is probably the site I would want to read since it's the most genuine. It's people's honesty and open-booked-ness that I find most endearing.

So I've created HattieCummings.com to act as an online portfolio to host pictures and descriptions of events I've created for potential employers to peruse. I've linked a Tumblr blog onto my personal website to host event inspiration I find online and as a way to keep my web content fresh without having to update my website as frequently HattieCummings.tumblr.com. And I've bit the birdie bullet in the name of business: my Twitter handle is @HattieKCummings. For the record I've never been opposed to Twitter, I just never thought I'd have much to say from a personal standpoint. As a business and networking tool, I think it's awesome. These three things are stirring me creatively and that's always a good thing. A year ago I was still stifling myself and repressing my creativity. Now I feel it bubbling up and overflowing into places I never would have expected.

Thanks for your patience as I get back into the loop. Thank you for reading. Your comments both on the blog and in real life about a post I've written really do mean the world to me. It makes me feel like I matter to people, like people see me and love me and care about me, like I'm not alone. Thank you for giving me something so profound. Bonnie, thanks for reading and thanks for telling me you actually read.

3 comments:

  1. Giving you a shout out because I too know how much comments can encourage to continue!

    I envy your drive and ability to pursue your dream. It is encouraging and motivating to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled upon your website earlier today. This whole no job thing really frees up even more stalking time than I had before. Anyway, I like it. Also, I'm excited to @ reply you at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You name dropped me in your blog! I feel honored. Love you so much friend.

    ReplyDelete