Friday, July 30

Customizable

Yesterday my friend Allie who runs her own invitation business invited me to help her at a bridal show. Our friend Shannon has been "interning" with her this summer to learn the graphic design side of event planning and I joke that I am interning for Shannon. So Allie, Shannon, and me as Shannon's assistant worked the bridal show together. I wouldn't really call it working at Allie did all the schmoozing, Shannon did all the secondary "chatting up", and I just entertained the two of them. At one point Allie had to leave the table for a moment and we were left to greet the brides. When my turn came up I began talking to a couple and two sentences into my spiel I attempted to explain how all of the designs are completely customizable. I saw Shannon watching me and Allie approaching and I was keenly aware of every word coming out of my mouth, so when I stumbled with the word customizable I wondered out loud if that was even a word. I became flustered and giggly and just handed the couple back off to Allie.
I suck.

So yes I have begun my immersion into the wedding world and have begun networking, but I fear that if I choked over the use of a non-word, how am I going to survive in a service based industry? I know I'll be fine, but my first day out was less than polished. I'll get the hang of it.

2 comments:

  1. If my awkward alter ego is Gary, can yours be Helen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure! Though a lot of people in awkward situations when I introduce myself mishear my name as Patty, so I think that could work too. Bye Gare Bear

    ReplyDelete