Monday, April 12

Untalented

Yesterday was the 100th post and I didn't celebrate it or anything. I think I was supposed to, just because I've seen so many other sites commemorate that milestone. Whoops. Well hooray. Thanks for reading. There...milestone commemorated...I guess. A perfectly imperfect commemoration: a day late and with no pomp and circumstance.

Moving on! We have been meeting, talking, discussing, planning, strategizing, and prepping for our month of camp in June. One of the activities involves members of the work staff hosting mini "talent workshops". They serve as small seminars where kids are allowed to explore a specific activity. It is outside of the traditional experiences they encounter at YL camp in order to engage all different types of kids. So the question was raised, "Who wants to host a workshop and what talent will you offer." My mind started racing and my sense of humor ran away with me and before I knew it I was joking about hosting the hip hop seminar. Someone thought I was serious and said that would be great. It would be great. I wish I could attend it! I just can't host it. I had to let them know that I really had no dance training, etc. Then it became the joke of our dinner table to come up with a seminar for me to host. I don't really have any practical talents like photography, painting, or playing the guitar (or anything else that starts with a p). I have a lot of interests and hobbies and things I wish I was talented at (like hip hop). We finally landed on something. It's not a talent, but I am an expert at it. It might not be the most impressive topic/hobby, but it would certainly be the most popular with high schooler and middle school campers. And let's face it, popularity is what matters. Who cares if you're a great musician if only 2 kids come to your workshop? Mine may be less legitimate, but I can draw a crowd of 100. So are you ready for it? The Twilight Seminar. We would do character breakdowns, book to movie contrasts, full literary analysis. My thorough knowledge and database of information pertaining to the Saga has to be put to good use at some point. I think this is my calling. I think I could form a new sect at camp. This could be powerful. Just joking. But seriously though I could teach a semester's worth on the subject. I wonder if anyone would want to audit my class and see if the credit would transfer to their school.

1 comment:

  1. I think its time we take a hip hop dance class. I will be finding one for us to start this summer :)

    ReplyDelete