Saturday, September 11

From Unemployed to Loving Life

Oh man today was a good day. I had the opportunity to assist my first wedding and it was amazing. Originally I was drawn to event planning because of the design aspect. I loved looking at color schemes, themes, decor, flowers, music, food, etc. The company I am assisting for is classified as wedding consultants and deals directly with the bride on the day of in addition to coordinating the actual event. Up until today I wasn't really attracted to this aspect of the job. It's not that I had a problem with it, I just thought creative design is what would really get my juices flowing. Well after today there's a whole new aspect of wedding planning that I'm in love with.

My day started in the bridal suite at the downtown hotel. I met the brother of the bride who instantly recognized me as Daniel's wife because he shops at the store Daniel works at. We chatted enthusiastically with one another for awhile and then he told his sister, the bride, who I was and she came and chatted excitedly as well. In an instant the bride, her family, her friends, and the groom appeared to me as real people with a real story who were in the midst of one of the most memorable and happy days of their lives. No longer were they just names on a paper or clients or the bride and groom. My day changed at this moment and I became all kinds of emotional. She brought out her dress and her bridesmaids poured into the back bedroom to gush and giggle. If I would have let myself I could have cried good and hard in that moment. If you know anything about me, you know I cry at life's "good stuff" especially spiritually intimate moments where the depth of life's even ordinary moments is revealed and I get a glimpse into the beauty of things at their sweetest. The knot in my throat was a good indication that this is the place for me. This career could be a great fit.

During the father of the bride's speech, I shared teary eyes with a clan of people who only a few hours ago were strangers. The wedding planner and the other assistant I was working with both were a weepy as well and I knew these were "my people". The two of them have been doing this for years and they still get choked up. Could it really be true that this sweetness isn't just a product of my first wedding but that I could actually experience this appreciation for beauty on a regular basis? I could get teary pretty frequently working for Young Life. We encounter profound moments a lot. I think the wedding business could potentially give me this same experience too only in a different way.

I don't want to speak to soon. Maybe I'm just hormonal or something. I never want to jump the gun on something, especially when I write about it publicly for anyone to see, but this job today felt really good. I don't know exactly what my role or situation will continue to look like, but if today was any indication as to where my heart lies, then I'm sold on it. I'm hooked. It could be a fluke since this first wedding could be described more as a gala for 424 people than a simple wedding reception. So we'll see. But if this keeps up, then yes this is most certainly what I want to be doing for the next few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment