Thursday, September 9

My First Day

When I began this blog I never anticipated all the ways my life has changed in this past year. I certainly didn't see a career change on the horizon, but here we are and I just finished my first day of work at a new job. Did I mention how grateful I am for a job? It feels good to join the living again. My feet aren't so grateful after standing upright for 7 hours, but they'll toughen up and get used to it. Thank you to everyone who wished me well today. I felt like my little team who carried me through the lows of unemployment got to celebrate this first day of employment right along with me. Thank you little blog community for helping me to never feel alone in the lows and the highs!

I folded A LOT of shirts today and had to fight my perfectionism on each one. I am not an expert on folding yet. The fold on each shirt differed from the one before it in one way so I compiled stacks with buttons slightly off centered, pockets leaning to one side, then the other. It was all I could do to keep from tearing apart the pile and starting over again. When your main task for your entire first shift is to fold, you want to do a good job. Thus I felt like I was going to be measured by my button alignment. Obviously no one is evaluating my folding technique so I just told myself to let the imperfections go and that I could only get better with practice. No one is expecting me to be perfect, so I don't need to expect that of myself either. Who knew I'd face my perfectionism during my first day on the job. It's funny how it rears it's little head. Looks like this will just be another way for me to conquer it as I embrace my human error and askew folding.

No comments:

Post a Comment