Saturday, June 5

Day 1

I'm here. After 10 hours, one of which was spent driving around Kansas City just trying to make it out of town in spite of the road closures from the Hospital Hill run, we arrived in Detroit Lakes, MN my home for the next month. I got "the big room". With two large closets this is literally a foreign experience compared to all my other stays at camp where I am typically living out of my suitcase because the cubbies in our bunk are all taken. Sometimes for our week long trips to camp I have even slept on a mattress on the floor. Needless to say my queen bed feels ginormous. I am giving one of my closets to my neighbor Kate whose accommodations are more quaint than mine.

There are 10 kids all under the age of 5 here. The cutest kid contest has begun and I am measuring baby Nick's gorgeous eyes against Logan's sweetness and Raef's dragon-slaying skills. It is full on baby-palooza with some fierce competition in the cute race.

Campers won't arrive until Tuesday which seems like days and days away. It won't feel real until the camp is full of swimsuit laden teenagers walking up from the beach and frisbees flying at my head as I accidentally interrupt rounds of frisbee golf. In the meantime all the staff is getting to know one another. The group of younger girls ended up congregating on my bed chatting and giggling before bed, so we're started off exactly how I'd hoped. One of my favorite parts of working at camp is the late night giggle fests (like the night 4 years ago when Jeff and Daniel tried to catch the gigantic raccoon by luring him with an orange). I'm already anticipating the memories I will return home with from this month. I can't wait to see what's in store. And best of all Daniel will be making an appearance after all. Thankfully some scheduling issues were worked out and he'll visit me for a few days at some point. I can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to check with my doctor about visiting you at Castaway. It's a mere 4 hours from our new home but right around a time when I'm not sure if I'm allowed to travel much. Chris won't be able to make it but I might see if Kristen wants to make the trip with me in late June when she's visiting. I'll keep you posted, dear friend. That picture makes me wish I was there already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh hem. I believe they tried to catch the coon with a Green (not an orange.

    Sweet memories of that month at Castaway - where's your room?
    t

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trinelle, staying in Shamrock (Jeff's room). It's awesome.

    Sara, yes come! I'll contact you outside the blog.

    ReplyDelete