Friday, May 7

Spooked

At what age are you supposed to stop being afraid of your basement? When I was little and I came back upstairs from the basement, I would often get spooked and end up running up the stairs trying to outrun whatever it was I could feel chasing me. This same phenomenon has overtaken me a handful of times even as an adult in my own home. I got spooked a little differently last night. When I came home Toby greeted me at the door. This should not have happened. This meant he had somehow escaped from his crate. And the ziploc bag of chocolate chip cookies was torn apart on the kitchen floor and empty. I was talking to Daniel on my cell while all of this was happening and he asked in response to the confusion, "Someone's not in the house are they?" I felt that same feeling as when in the basement and feeling the need to run up the steps to safety. I ran out of the house, jumped into my car, and drove away until Daniel came home a few minutes later. I left the doggies to fend for themselves against the axe murderer who had broken into our house. 10 minutes later I returned to the scene of the imagined crime. Daniel grabbed a knife and did a walk through of the house inspecting every room, closet, and the pantry. Don't worry the coast was clear. I don't know what made us think that just because Toby somehow escaped from his crate and gorged himself on cookies that there was an intruder, but it did. So I'll ask again...at what age does this illogical thinking end and one stops getting spooked by nothing?

1 comment:

  1. At the age of 25, I am still unable to let any limbs of mine hang over the side of the bed at night. Both arms and both feet have to be securely placed underneath the covers and far out of reach of any potential lurkers lying in wait underneath my bed. I even tried to force myself recently to hang one of my arms off the edge. Lasted a minute, tops.

    I am pretty confident that at age 55 I will still be spooked of any and all things that could be hiding underneath my bed. Shoot.

    ReplyDelete