Wednesday, May 5

Go Fighting Hornets!

I was sitting out on the deck trying to soak up some sun in order to combat the transparent whiteness of my legs as we enter full on shorts and skirts weather. However my lounging was interrupted by an uninvited intruder. I'm not sure if it was a hornet, wasp, yellowjacket, or other stinger-armed insect. I am not well versed in this area so can't distinguish between these different species. Nothing puts a damper on a care free sit in the sun than the threat of a sting, knowing at any moment if I take my eye off this flying attacker I could fall prey to its stealth assault.

I don't have an irrational fear of bees, but I do have a healthy respect for the damage they can inflict. So before you go dismissing my fear of this tiny creature as excessive, ponder the pain of the puncture and the subsequent swelling. I pondered this myself and as I observed my opponent I realized what an excellent mascot a hornet is. In the past I've dismissed hornet mascots as silly and cartoon-y. How are they supposed to stand against lions, tigers, and bears (oh my!)? But how often do you encounter a lion or tiger outside of a cage? Sure bears actually exist outside of captivity in the wild frontier of the US. But unless you live in remote expanses in the mountains, the likelihood of running into one is rare. But hornets! I saw two just today. The fear of lions or tigers doesn't interrupt daily activities like sunbathing or yard work. Hornets' strength lies in their pervasiveness of our suburban landscape. They are everywhere. I normally viewed their size as a disadvantage in the mascot world, but it actually adds to their terror. They are hard to see from afar, hard to track, hard to hear. Their size makes them stealthy and sneaky.

So I've been proved wrong North Kansas City High School, Charlotte (now New Orleans), and any other hornet mascoted teams. Teams can keep their tigers; the hornet is the more intimidating adversary.


I think I've had this guy all wrong. Look at what a do-gooder he is helping out his community.

No comments:

Post a Comment