Sunday, March 14

Grab Life by the Lazer

I had an awesome night tonight with Daniel and some YL kids. It may sound stupid to a lot of people, but I did two things tonight that I would've never done a few years ago for fear of looking dumb or inadequate. The first: Lazer Tag. The second: Dancing.

I've never played Lazer Tag in my 28 years and though it doesn't seem like something that would strike fear in the hearts of many, it is something unknown. And for Hattie The Perfectionist, unknown is something we don't do. No, I must be prepared and practiced. I mean what if I suck at it? I can't let a bunch of high school kids see me look dumb. But for Hattie The Imperfect, Lazer Tag is awesome! I loved running around in black lights, strapped into my glowing vest, and toting a plastic gun. At 3 bucks a game we opted for 2 rounds of fun. By the second game I was really getting into it, falling down and acting out my wounds went "hit". We left sweaty and giggling, comparing stats from the specialized print outs they hand you before leaving. According to my stat sheet my performance was perfectly average. My enjoyment was off the charts.

Everyone came over to our house after Lazer Tag and we bought and played the Wii game "Just Dance". I love to dance when I'm feeling uninhibited enough to really enjoy myself. I've sat on the sidelines during many a wedding reception wishing I were brave enough to throw caution to the wind and bust a move. This video game could trigger anxiety for two reasons: first the whole room is watching during your turn and second you receive a score evaluating your dance ability. I was able to throw said caution to said wind and dance to Bust a Move and Fame. This too was awesome.

I'm proud of myself. It's nights like tonight where I'm glad I'm not missing out on opportunities for fun anymore because of fear. So here's to Lazer Tag and dancing. Small victories and a whole lotta fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment