Thursday, February 25

While the husband's away, the TCM will play.

"Three Cheers for TCM!" (picture from Shadow of a Doubt)

Whenever Daniel is out of town I typically preoccupy myself with movies during the evenings. I have an affinity for Alfred Hitchcock and some of the classics on TCM. Daniel does not share my appreciation for old movies, so while the husband's away, the TCM will play unrestricted on the living room TV. I am trying to work my way through the entire Hitchcock catalogue and tonight am finishing up the third film from my most recent batch of rentals from the library.

Here's the latest three:

Vertigo (1958) with Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak. Awesome. Though the story lines can often be predictable, this one had me guessing till the very end. There were so many plot twists that I literally thought the movie was ending at four different points. The design of this movie poster is so cool. The opening credits have the same aesthetic and are so fun to look at.

Shadow of a Doubt (1943)- This film is said to be Hitchcock's personal favorite. Ehh, not mine.


The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) with Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day. It works. The look is great between the exotic location of Morocco and some nice costuming between Stewart's suiting and Doris Day's "resort wear". The scene in the taxidermist's office is so unique visually and the way they utilize the stuffed animals is comical and brilliant.


I didn't know that the song Que Sera, Sera was written for this particular film. Day performs it a few times charming the audience each performance. The lyrics are so sweet and I'm taking a lesson from the song.




Que Sera Sera (Whatever Will Be)
When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother, what will I be
Will I be pretty, will I be rich
Here's what she said to me.

Que Sera, Sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.

When I was young, I fell in love
I asked my sweetheart what lies ahead
Will we have rainbows, day after day
Here's what my sweetheart said.

Que Sera, Sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.

Now I have children of my own
They ask their mother, what will I be
Will I be handsome, will I be rich
I tell them tenderly.

Que Sera, Sera
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment