Monday, February 8

Panic Attacks are Hilarious

These past few weeks have been an especially difficult time. The result is what happened last night on my way from the grocery store of all places. By the time I got home even Daniel noticed something was very wrong. On my drive home I started feeling really overwhelmed by everything that is happening in my life, feeling short of breath, dizzy, lightheaded, nauseous, and feeling achy/tingling/numb/not sure how to describe it- in my arms and legs. Daniel told me to stop what I was doing, sit down, and drink some water. Eventually the physical symptoms passed and the overall dread lessened. I googled "panic attack" later that night to see if that gave any clues to what I experienced. Seeking medical advice from the internet...I know, really reliable. Though different sites have varying opinions, it sounds like it was an anxiety attack. (For anyone interested according to the internet, again take it or leave it, a panic attack seems to be triggered more randomly not necessarily founded in any specific fear whereas an anxiety attack is spurred from being overwhelmed by a specific or particular fear or stressor.)

Though not a particularly fun event, the internet research offered a bevy of amusing pictures. Who knew panic/anxiety attacks could be so hilarious? I found lots of great info on symptoms, triggers, and of course coping techniques. Please see the helpful visuals below from one of the sites I found.

Apparently I'm not the only one triggered inside grocery stores. Beware of the meat aisle. Cold cuts can be dangerous. Be wary of lions or lions painted on walls.
Visualization techniques can be helpful. But if you're going to go to your "happy place" and make that creepy face make sure it's in private.
Of course consult your counselor. The best therapists wear lab coats; that's how you know they're good. And don't forget to don your best sailor outfit for your visit.

3 comments:

  1. ooo - sorry about the attack.
    Looks like a sabertooth coming out of that wall - imagine living among extinct beasts with only a briefcase for defense.
    I've heard CBT self-help works...but probably not as well as palm tree visualization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out www.ccef.org/topics/counseling/anxiety-worry

    There may be something more useful than the internet research there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tenelle, funny you should mention extinct beasts because I'm pretty sure that picture was part of a description of how our fight or flight response was developed during "cave times" and contributes to panic attacks.

    Pol, thanks for the podcasts. I will for sure check them out! Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete