Thursday, June 23

Dandelion

Every Wednesday night this summer we've been having over old Young Life kids who are home from college (or who just graduated high school). The time is very unstructured with no lesson or agenda ahead of time. The kids that show up that particular week determine what the night looks like. So one week it involved ice cream, answering questions drawn from a hat, and cuddling/wrestling on the couch. (Can I mention that this night may have gone in this direction because I felt like a single mom with a living room full of children while my husband excused himself upstairs to recover from a concussion? But that's another story that I'll share soon.) My only objectives for our time each week is to 1. be together and enjoy each other's company 2. be honest with each other about the challenges and changes that come with college and adulthood and 3. bring God into the conversation.

Last night involved ice cream again (it's summer time so ice cream seems to be a requirement for any get together). After ice cream we prayed. For those of my friends who know and love Chris Patterson let me just say that we prayed, as I describe it with my kids, "Chris Patterson style". And for those of you who are Young Life leaders or have discipled kids, you know what a sweet experience it is to pray with them. At one point their prayers became directed towards me. This was not my intention by any means, but if praying with kids is a joy then being the recipient of their prayers is downright heavenly. I want to share one of the pictures they prayed for me because it articulates my journey in a beautiful way that I want to record so I can always remember it.

Hartzell prayed that I'm like a dandelion. We all giggled because it's a pesky weed, but hang with me for a minute. He said that in the same way that the seeds of a dandelion get blown all over the place and then a field of flowers grows, that I give people the tools they need and then they scatter all over and "bloom". This was sweet because it is exactly what I hope to happen through things like College Night on Wednesdays. I would love it if I can care for kids and give them any tools that are going to equip them to come alive and bloom once they go back to college.

Then Katy prayed about the dandelion in a different, but just as articulate way. She said that my life used to be "all together" and then the wind blew and now I'm sort of "all over the place". Daniel and I were sitting next to each other and there was a lot of giggling from our corner of the room at that comment. Boy was she right. My whole life used to revolve around Young Life, maybe to an unhealthy degree as I lived in a bit of a bubble. My work life, social life, and marriage were all consumed by Young Life. I don't think it's a bad thing to have life revolve around such a worthy ministry, but to be consumed by it meant that I didn't have many relationships or friendships outside of it. I didn't have a hobby or other interests. I think we can agree that that's not the best idea. And now...well I have three jobs. If that's not a picture of being "all over the place" I don't know what is. But here is the poignant piece of what Katy prayed, though I am blown all over the place "God is in the wind." I so needed to hear that though it may not feel like it, God is determining my path. I am so fearful that I'm not climbing the ladder and advancing my yet to be determined career. I feel like I'm not on a forward trajectory, but am just wasting time. What I heard last night was that God knows what he's doing. I may not see the path I'm on. And that path may be a little circular, a little all over the place, but God is in control of it.

If that wasn't cool enough, then Hartzell prayed about an open window. The phrase came to mind, "When God closes a door he opens a window." I kept waiting for God to open a new door, but instead he cracked open a window. Though I may have been disappointed by the size of the window instead of another door, Hartzell prayed that I would have the courage to take advantage of new opportunities. Katy prayed about the window as me opening the curtains at dawn and letting in the light of a new day.

They asked if any of what they prayed for me made any sense. I was able to share with them about what God has been teaching me and celebrate with them that I am indeed experiencing a "new day" of health and joy that I haven't experienced in years. So I told them that yes, yes their prayers were making a lot of sense.

So I thought I'd share because kids are just so cool and because they articulated things in a way I haven't been able to. If anyone ever questions if giving your life away to kids is worth it, you need only to experience quiet moments like these where they become the ministers of grace and peace and you'll be convinced.

No comments:

Post a Comment