Thursday, October 7

Sequins for the Soul

Chicken Soup for the Soul is a fine series of books for anyone looking for a little warm and fuzzy sensation. As opposed to the uplifting inspirational stories found in these books, my Chicken Soup for the Soul happens to be in the form of sequins. While I was still looking for a job I wrote this post about longing for a paycheck so I could purchase even the most affordable items of clothing from the mall. It was entitled "The Temptation of Sequins and Polyester". The more profound sentiment that arose from that post was while writing it realizing that it wasn't necessarily the clothes themselves that I wanted as much as I was wanting a purpose and place to wear them to. It was while writing this post that I was first able to articulate to myself my fear in unemployment of being "left behind" while everyone else went off to their jobs.

Well here we are just a short while later and not only am I dually employed, but working for my dream wedding coordination firm. And to top everything off...I bought sequins today. The deep pink sequin pencil skirt I've been eyeing in our store since I first started has gradually made its way to the sale rack and I've watched it move around our store since day one. Our family budget is still to be determined as we try and reconfigure numbers with my new income, so my clothing allowance hasn't really existed since June. The other night Daniel dropped a number on me giving me the all clear to go ahead and buy something this month. I immediately began planning what item or items I would get. The sequin skirt was on the top of the list and today was the big day that I could at last make her mine. She went on sale online and so I had a hunch that I would find her price reduced even further when I went back into the store today to get her. Sure enough she had been marked down yet again. I literally jumped up and down as I embraced her in my arms. My co-workers giggled and celebrated along with me. She was originally $138 and I walked away with her for $25 leaving me some extra money for an additional purchase.

It may sound dumb, but for anyone who loves clothes like I do, you get it. And for anyone who's been unemployed and unable to purchase non-necessities, you know what it's like when you get to make your first "fun" purchase after starting work again. My "cherry on top" of receiving a regular paycheck came disguised as sequins: a fitting symbol I think. They're sparkly, shiny, pretty. They're almost like fireworks. And nothing says "party" or "celebration" like sequins. Having a job is a party indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment