Wednesday, May 12

The Fred Factor

I drove through Starbucks the other afternoon and was entertained by the barista behind the speaker. I placed my order and he responded in an overenthusiastic tone commenting about how "the lovely ladies [he] works with each and every day will have that ready for you in a jiffy". I'm normally annoyed by comments like this, but he must have caught me at a good moment or maybe it was the cookie samples he offered me once pulling up to the window because I drove away thinking, "Wow he is really good at his job."

My boss is really good at his job too. He's just a pro. His role suits him perfectly. His staff adore him and consider him a friend, but that's just because he's such a quality person. What I'm talking about is when he's in his element. You can probably think of people like this too. They're just doing their everyday business, but it's like a light clicks on and they're in work mode. They're on. They communicate clearly navigating negotiations with calm confidence, operating with ease. They make work appear effortless. They're just naturals.

The Fred Factor is a business book telling the story of a mailman who goes above and beyond and is the best damn postman around. He works hard and enjoys his work. He fulfills his normal duties but also generously goes out of his way to serve his route by going beyond the everyday call of duty. I want to be a Fred. And a Starbucks Guy. And my boss Tom. As I begin thinking about a new job/career, I desperately hope that I can find something that suits me. A place where I'll joyfully brag about my co-workers as being lovely. A role where I'll appear natural, at ease, and with confidence. A job that I'll enjoy and want to go the extra mile to make a difference for people. I'm not looking for anything inparticular. I think it may take me a while before I settle into a new job for this season of life. I don't need it to be the end all be all of jobs. I'm not looking to save the world (besides I already attempted that with my last career path of full time ministry). I'm simply looking to do something well that meets the needs of others. A job in and of itself isn't always especially significant, but your performance inside of that role can be significant to people (like those on your mail route).

I have to confess as my end date with Young Life approaches and the real world awaits, I'm starting to become a little terrified again. I keep trying to picture life after July 15th and can't see anything. The blindness before was exciting and symbolized a world of possibilities. Now the blindness and uncertainty point more towards the nothingness of unemployment. It's bigger than bringing home a paycheck for me though. It's an identity crisis. What, who will I be? What's next? Who is next? I know we are not defined by our vocation, but it certainly makes up a lot of who we are. Who am I becoming? I'm ready for things to come into focus and finally see what the future has in store. I'm ready to be a Fred, but first I need an assignment.

2 comments:

  1. Hattie,
    I am in your exact position and your post summed up my feeling about wanting to be the best I can at something in a way that fulfills who I have been created to be. I am ending my "young Life career" on June 30th and my life looks like a black hole after that... My husband (J. Morgner) sent this on to me because he knew that I felt exactly this way. so although it's a lot to handle..I hope you find some comfort in another soul out there in your place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate! First off love your husband :) Second, it is good to hear someone else knows what it's like to leave this world that can be so all encompassing. Good luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete