Saturday, April 10

Is It Bad?

Is it bad to be in love with Darth Vader?

We've had Star Wars fever at our house the past few days. One symptom of this fever is an obsession with Anakin Skywalker. When I first saw these movies back in the theaters I fell in love with Anakin. After the movies Hayden Christensen became my celebrity crush and my "gimme". The idea of a "gimme" comes from my sister Amy and her husband. At one point they each had one celebrity crush that they were allowed to kiss if the opportunity presented itself. "I'll give ya one" thus a "gimme". There was a time when Daniel and I's gimmes were Star Wars co-stars: mine Hayden Christensen and his Natalie Portman playing Anakin's love Padme. He's so over Portman and I thought my love affair with Christensen had passed, but the movies have rekindled my feelings. He's actually dethroned Robert Pattinson, a feat not easily accomplished. I listened to an interview with Christensen where he talked about eating organic beef because he believes you are what you eat. In that case he must be on a steady diet of BABE. Though I think it really is Anakin I'm in love with as I don't actually know Christensen. (Probably a good chance that it's Edward Cullen I'm in love with as well and not Pattinson, but I do think Pattinson is way cooler than Edward will ever be so maybe not.)

So is it bad that I'm attracted to the character that goes on to become one of the most terrifying cinematic villans of all time? Every time I watch I think, "Maybe this time he won't turn to the darkside. Maybe he'll see things more clearly this time. Maybe he and Padme can live happily ever after." Fat chance. His fate was sealed back in the 70's when Lucas created the character. He never had a chance. Even after he gives himself over to evil and is knighted Darth Vader, I am still totally into him. Even after he kills all the youngling Jedi's...STILL. It's sad to watch his story turn into tragedy, but he actually turns into even more of a badass.

Daniel and I were talking about my feelings for Anakin and how illogical they are. I can't fully explain them...well actually I can, but if I did it would make me sound like an even bigger nerd. Though I already used the word youngling so I suppose salvaging any coolness is a lost cause at this point. On screen I am drawn to a terribly flawed, hot-tempered, and eventually evil character. But why would I be attracted to this fictional character when at home I have a husband who would make a pretty attractive movie character himself. He's a total babe who doesn't have a miniature ponytail and side braid rat-tail hairdo. And he's downstairs right now playing his guitar first singing some Johnny Cash, then my most favorite Ryan Adams song AND he sounds good. And now I overhear him learning the new Miley Cyrus song from the new Nicholas Sparks movie. I can't deny a good ballad and this song is no exception so I've been rocking out to it daily since the movie came out. And he's learning it so we can sing it at Young Life because the kids love it too. What a guy! So he may not get to wear a cloak, wield a light saber, choke people with the force, or murder younglings, but I guess he's still pretty great. I'll keep him.
Evolution of an evil, but dreamy babe:

Unfortunate hair style in Episode II.


At the peak of Ultimate Babe-ness in Episode III.


Gone to the darkside and still dreamy as ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment