Thursday, April 22

Will Work for Clothes

I picked up one of these today:


That's an employment application. I haven't really been pursuing job opportunities yet because I'm still in the throws of finishing all the Young Life work on my plate. But I did pick up an application today which is weird because I don't think I've ever technically applied for a job before. I was hired directly out of college for Young Life after 4 years of preparation as a volunteer. Since I missed the official interview day, my interview consisted of a visit in a booth at Panera with the Regional Director and Regional Trainer during their break from moving offices. Because it was moving day they were dressed in sweats. I think I wore jeans.

All my part time employment opportunities have come through family and friends. There was the fireworks stand where I showed up the first year to unload the truck. Anyone who lasted the first day was given scheduled hours for the remaining weeks. You were given a job every year you showed up after that. Working at Standard happened because Daniel called me one morning in a panic during one of their massive summer sales. I returned for a few holiday seasons and summers after that. My husband was my boss and my friends were my co-workers. Merchandising at Zona Rosa I inherited temporarily just to help out my sister.

So now I have to face the real world at 28. Job applications, resumes (which I'm writing for the first time), business cards. But I'm excited by all of it. I'm having a Mary Tyler Moore toss-your-hat-into-the-air sort of moment, "You're gonna make it after all." I am aren't I.

No comments:

Post a Comment