Thursday, February 18

Remember Flying

Remember Flying was originally my title posed as a question (Remember Flying?), but I think I prefer it as a command (You...Remember Flying.).


Tonight's post is just a continuation of the inspiration gleaned from last night's online treasure hunt. I can't get the Peter Pan idea out of my head. There's so much to that story that is resounding with the sort of awakening I'm experiencing. So much of one's powers and abilities in Neverland have to do with belief that you simply can. Flying is the ability I'm most taken with.

Today on NPR's Fresh Air, I was listening to Terry Gross interview James Cameron about Avatar. She was picking the brain that envisioned another universe complete with creatures, vegetation, and a new language. It was a fascinating interview, but the one comment that I was struck by was Cameron's observation about the unfiltered imagination and conviction of children. He was saying exactly what I was trying to say in yesterday's post. He pointed out what we all know to be true: that as children not only do we truly believe we can do anything, but we believe we will do anything and everything. He said studies have shown that children dream about flying frequently, whereas adults rarely have dreams of flight. Have you ever had flying dreams? I remember having them when I was younger and each time I awoke I wanted to go right back to sleep and try again. I longed, and still do, for those dreams. Flight for me in dreams always consisted of the same technique. I would pump my legs almost like riding a non-existent bicycle and lift off the ground. I had to maintain that circular motion to stay in flight. I never flew very high, always hovering around ceiling level inside my house. It doesn't sound that freeing, but it certainly felt divine.

Last night during part of my online "experience", I saw some beautiful pictures depicting children in flight. Caroline Hadilaksono , one of the founders of The League of Moveable Type, posted them on her blog. They are from German photographer Jan von Holleben's Dreams of Flying series. They portray everything I wish I could articulate more clearly about tapping into my fourth grade heart and living life believing I can fly. A Peter Pan life.

Wishing you all sweet dreams of flight and other magical adventures in your very own Neverland.

No comments:

Post a Comment